Winter storms bring a unique set of challenges for homeowners in Edmond, including the risk of extreme cold temperatures. The cold weather can wreak havoc on your home’s plumbing system, causing pipes to freeze and potentially burst. To protect your plumbing system from the cold and potential damage, Hi-Tech Plumbing & Leak Detect recommends following these tips.
1. Insulate Your Pipes — The most important step you can take to protect your pipes from freezing is to insulate them. This is especially important for pipes in unheated areas such as the attic, basement and exterior walls. Make sure to use thick foam insulation that covers the entire length of the pipe and seal the ends with tape or caulk.
2. Keep Cabinet Doors Open — During extreme cold, it’s a good idea to keep the cabinet doors under your kitchen and bathroom sinks open. This will allow warm air to circulate around the pipes and help prevent them from freezing.
3. Let Faucets Drip — During extremely cold weather, it’s a good idea to let your faucets drip slightly. This will help keep the water moving and reduce the risk of the pipes freezing.
4. Keep Thermostat Set — Make sure to keep your thermostat set at a consistent temperature throughout the winter. This will help keep your pipes from freezing, as well as keep your energy bills low.
5. Know Where Your Shutoff Valves Are — Knowing where your shutoff valves are located can be a lifesaver if a pipe does freeze and burst. Make sure to locate your shutoff valves before the cold weather hits and be prepared to turn them off in an emergency.
By following these tips, you can help protect your home’s plumbing system from the cold winter weather. If you have any questions or concerns about the condition of your pipes, contact Edmond’s plumbing experts — Hi-Tech Plumbing & Leak Detect for a professional inspection. We are here to help keep your home’s plumbing system running smoothly all year long.